Wednesday, October 31, 2007

There are so many gypsies in Italy. They are everywhere. I was in Florence giving a tour and a gypsie came up and asked my group and me for money. No one understand her except me because she spoke in Italian. She was just under five feet tall, had not showered and carried an old plastic cup with a weathered picture of Christ. This is a common occurance here in Italy. In my mission we were not allowed to give money because we used the consecrated money but now I could give money if I wanted. I rarely gave (yes, past tense) money for many reasons but that has now changed. This last gypsie who asked me money changed my life. In response to her question, I said "I'm sorry I don't have any money either." I feel content becasue I don't have work and I am very poor right now so it really is not lie. Usually this gets them to walk away without continuing and pressing. But this woman instead, took my hand and emptied her money that she had received that day. She gave me all her money she got that day. She looked at me and smiled and walked away. I was left there shocked, actually frozen or stunned. I could not believe what she did for me. I did not need her money as bad as maybe she did but she touched me in a way that no one ever has. I ran after her and said, "Listen I really don't need your money." She ssid to me, "Just as people help me I want to help other people." I was so touched by her and she would not take that money. With tearfilled eyes, I turned and faced my tour group and explained what just happened.

Yesterday in church there was a Halloween party. Well, as Halloween as you can get here in Italy. The missionaries organized it to take place just after english class so we could have alot of non members there. We went to the American base and bought Mountain Dew, Rootbeer, Grape soda, and Reeses Peanut Butter cups. There were pumpkins (also from the American base) that we carved. The party started slowly. I looked around and saw that everyone was just kind of standing around. I lead a group of people in dancing the Thriller. It was hysterical me leading a bunch of italians in dancing the thriller, acting like zombies. After that I kind of took control because no one else was. Then we bobbed for apples, played the egg on a spoon game, limbo and of course, something most italians love is line dancing. It was hysterical. Today, I have such a desire to watch a scary movie as it is Halloween. In Italy, they have started dressing up for Halloween but they only have the scary costumes. No spidermen or batmen only goblins, witches and zombies. It is much more graphic than our Halloween.

I come back to America in nine days and I could not be happier. I think it is easy for me to leave Italy now because I know that I will be coming back in January. If I was not coming back in January I would be devasted leaving at this point. I can't wait to be with my family. I love more than anything doing the simple things with them. I love doing errands with my Mom and Dad. I love driving my dad's car with Heather and Courtney and singing at the top of our lungs. I am so excited also because I will watch Star Wars with my brother Tyler. I found out that Brooke and Grant are coming home for Thanksgiving! I am so excited. I love my family and can't wait to be with them.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I found you via Lindsay Trout's blog. I used to baby sit you, Grant and Brooke when we all lived in Wabash Indiana. I would love to know where your parents are now. Your mom is the cutest thing! I loved her very much back in the day.
~Gina Vinson