Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I searched for autumn today...

I woke up with such a desire to ''experience autumn'' today. Autumn is my favorite season, there is so much to ''experiencing autumn.'' Crisps mornings, followed by warm afternoons, apple cider, pumpkins, squash, sweaters, leaves falling, turning colors, school supplies, football, halloween, golfing, apples, etc. I miss it! I have a really hard time ''experiencing autumn'' here. It is just not as evident for me as in America. I miss these things so much. Today I woke up with a true sadness missing america and her great autumn season. These constant traditions which have come and gone every year have a greater impact on me than I ever realized, now that I don't have them, I feel thier absence. I have a great desire to watch two of my favorite autumn movies to experience autumn, ''You've got mail'' and ''Runaway Bride.'' When I think of these movies I think of autumn. I am really considering buying these movies today because I am desperate to experience some autumn. Today I woke up and decided that there has to be the same signs of autumn here in Italy so I went in search of these. I took a funiculare up to a mountain top in Tuscany today and walked around for hours just looking for any sign of Italian autumn traditions. I have discovered a few that have satisified my appetite. Autumn in Italy is about harvesting olives, chestnuts, figs, and of course grapes. This time of year is about working here, especially in Tuscany (It reminds me alot of Idaho's potato harvest). They are making thier wine and olive oils. I have had the experience this year of harvesting figs (thank you Willy), harvesting olives (thank you Elena) and grapes (a cultural experience I actually paid for). They are roasting chestnuts on the street corners now which carries a perfume so unique that stops me in my tracks. There are signs of autumn everywhere I just need to keep my eyes out for them.



This little town I visited today is called Montenero (or black mountain). You have to take a funiclar or cliff train that is suitable to climb steep mountains. There was a beautiful tree canopy that had some color change happening. I got to the top and walked into this beautiful town that is centered around a painting of the Madonna (or Mary). There is a famous sanctuary there that has become the center of the town's culture. Everything there is in the name of Mary the mother of Christ. I took a few pictures and will attach them below. Most of these pictures are of the sanctuary and few are of the town.















( Various statues for sale)
(These are, "Thank you hearts" people bought and wrote to Mary)



















(Candles taken to the Mary)















(a local man and his candy store)

1 comment:

Autumn said...

I think I found Autumn too. (I just can't resist playing with my name sometimes.) What is it with every country besides ours being fascinated with Mary statues?!