Sunday, October 14, 2007

Shakespeare was right

Shakespeare has made the point here that when we're disguised, we feel freer. We can do things we wouldn't do in ordinary life. I am in complete accord with this thought. Yesterday I was a living statue and had the best time. I felt so free and could do whatever I wanted. (maybe this is why burglers really put on a mask). It was really liberating to put myself in the middle of a busy piazza and try to be the "forced entertainment." Everyone looking a me in the middle of the piazza as if I was so wierd or strange. People would walk by so slowly and would be fixed on me. At certain points little kids would ask their parents funny questions, "Mamma, perche' no si muovono?(Mom why aren't they moving?" Or the kids would ask, "are they real mom?" (I should mention I did this with my friend Roberta). It was quite liberating and really artistic. I had to concentrate on my body and place it in positions that were accomadating for a long period of time. Dozens of people took pictures of me and took videos of me. It was so incredible. One american man said, as I approached him, "You are scaring the hell out of me." Little kids were the most warm and accepting. Adults would approach and just stare. After hours of doing this we decided to head off. We changed back into normal clothes again in a side street and took off our white faces. Then we headed to that same piazza as normal people and no one paid any at tention to us. Arby's always said, "Difference is good." It was just such a contrast of being the center of attention to not even being noticed. I have to say to summarize it was the most unique and freeing day I have ever experienced!



3 comments:

Autumn said...

HAHA!! Good for you. That looks so fun. So what was the motivation?

Stephy said...

My motivation was a greek statue

Anonymous said...

Stephanie! I'm glad you've got a blog...now I have another way to stalk you!